Wednesday, September 10, 2014

HTC One M8 DotView Case

HTC One M8 DotView Case

     So when I got my most recent phone, it was perfect for my needs. Fast, sleek, and packaged all of the features I needed into a single device. It did, however, have one glaring issue: the physical design was so slick that holding it was a bit of a nightmare. It was like holding a bar of soap. So I decided to search for cases that added some grip to my phone. I picked up the DotView case and it had one really cool feature:
It allows for the case to be closed by a mesh that lets information through in a unique dotted design. It would show messages, time, weather information, email updates, and missed calls to name a few. However there are a few big design flaws...

     First, the whole DotView interface relies on you swiping and tapping over the front mesh. However, the mesh is pretty thick, and current touchscreens work by detecting your finger's natural electric conductivity. Because the plastic mesh is in the way, touch input is rarely accepted (maybe 1 in 3) when, in theory, you are supposed to interact with the phone in a number of ways fluidly in this manner. Second, the mesh flap doesn't close all the way when it flips around like a book cover. So it always protrudes from the back of the phone by almost an entire inch, making this case nearly impossible to hold without the flap getting in the way or making the phone awkward as hell to hold.

2 comments:

  1. Cases tend to a problem in this manner. My touch cover doesn't let me access my back button at all usually, and it's a hassle to touch my home button. The things we do for protection...(giggity)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the dotted design of the case, but it's pretty sad that the primary function of the case - to protect the phone while providing fluid and efficient use - falls flat on its face. I hate when phones don't respond to your gestures, and with this it must be a nightmare to accomplish simple tasks. And the fact that you got the case so the phone would be easier to hold, and the case itself makes the phone awkward to hold, is even worse. You should probably get a new case.

    ReplyDelete