Thursday, October 30, 2014

Taco Bell Mobile App

Taco Bell Mobile App

    Last night, consumed by hunger, I saw a commercial for this application I could download from Taco Bell. This blog will be a review of said app. The picture on the left showed the main screen, and a pro here is definitely aesthetics. Ample use of screen space, stylized pictures with bold text overlays...the designers clearly understand common modern design staples, but it lacked a lot of upfront information that could have helped me. Their menu browsing is actually really enjoyable! They have two independent scrolling menus, one the categories on the menu and another to show the actual items in the selected category.
    But whoa.... hold the phone... this app lets anyone mobile order Taco Bell?!?! Damn right it does, but that's one of my cons for this app. While it was apparent from the start that this feature was available, I was given no indication as to which stores actually participated in taking mobile orders. When I was all done coding what I wanted, then, and only then, did I find out that no stores near me took these orders. I should be able to check store availability before I go through the whole process.

3 comments:

  1. The UI looks really dang nice. How I wish most UIs looked, especially those for restaurants.

    Though they should have a geolocator function to notify you if no stores in the area participate in mobile orders. I think that can be done easily enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUDEE!! this is aweome!! Sorry none of them were near by. Definitely getting in the way of your human values. Informed consent should be taken into account before you commit personal information that you would need to order something that consent should clue the user into where that information will be going to for that order. Otherwise this is hella I can't wait for the cherrydale one to catch up with the times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of Taco Bell, but this is definitely a good looking app. I love having large pictures with text overlays for breaking up categories on the main page; I think it makes clear where each button will take you and what to expect on the next page. I also really liked the duel menus, making it that much easier to switch between different categories to find what you want most.
    I agree that it was pretty thoughtless not to include a feature that shows which Taco Bells support mobile ordering. This application would be handy for checking the Taco Bell menu on the fly, but seems pretty pointless otherwise. I would think that using the menu to place orders would be the primary utility of this application, and it would be pretty annoying to create a meal and then find out afterwards you can't order it.

    ReplyDelete